Sunday, March 20, 2011

A visit to the astronomy tower

It was by sheer luck that I ended up at the UCF Astronomy tower one night. To be perfectly honest I wasn't exactly very enthusiastic about the visit. It had been a long day and I was ready to go home and hit the bed. However, as chance had it I ended up at the UCF Astronomy tower around 9 pm. There were 3 small telescopes and one large one. The large one was awesome, totally computer operated. There was this nerdy, good looking kid who explained us about the stuff. He showed us some kinda nebula (I am not even sure I am spelling it right). I think it's some kinda thing when a star is about to die. The 3 smaller telescopes focused on Saturn, Pleaides (7 star cluster) and the nebula. We could actually see the Saturn with all it's rings. It was so awesome to actually see something which I have only read about, or seen pictures, on television etc etc. It actually seems much more real now. The Pleaides was very beautiful, it's actually a cluster of 7 stars. It was gorgeous, like fireworks glittering in the sky. This was an amazing experience and one I would revisit again and again!!

2 comments:

  1. wow pretty awesome you have an astronomy tower in your uni...wonder if mine has one... and um nebula... its not dying star, its more like a star being born, gases densifying...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh okay. dint know tat. and i call myself an aerospace engg.. sigh!!

    ReplyDelete